Monday, October 26, 2015

Reflection on micro-teaching

For my micro-teaching lesson, I taught my peers to make fruit/vegetable sculptures based on Saxton Freymann's picture books. Initially, I had wanted to make giraffes out of bananas but decided against it since it was too complicated to finish in 10 minutes. Hence, I simplified the lesson to using bell peppers and adding lively features such as eyes and a smile. Overall, I think the lesson went well and everyone enjoyed this fun activity.
In my first micro-teaching lesson in another class, I ran out of time so I wanted to be extra careful not to plan too much. But in this case, since the activity had been simplified and everyone was cooperative, we were left with a few minutes to spare. I expounded on the picture books I showed them in the beginning. In hindsight, I would have elaborated more on the sculptures themselves, such as adding other distinctive elements on each bell pepper or ask the students to brainstorm other extension ideas. Moreover, I intended the "take a photo of your final product" to be the assessment part but it may not have come across clear enough because some feedback indicated a lack of thorough assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment