Tuesday, October 13, 2015

(Imaginary) letters from future students

Dear Ms. Chen,
I was in your math class in grade 10. To this day, I always tell other people that I love learning math and you are my favorite math teacher. Why? It's because you really care about the students' learning. You would make the effort to explain a concept several times by showing different examples. I enjoyed doing the fun in-class activities that engaged me in mathematical thinking and working with my peers helped me understand better too. Whenever I felt like I needed extra help, I know that your classroom is a warm door for me even after school. Thank you for inspiring me in such a unique subject as math and genuinely caring for us students.
Dear Ms. Chen,
You might not remember me in one of your grade 11 math class. I sat in the back of the classroom where you probably don't notice much. Sometimes I had trouble hearing your voice, especially if you were speaking too fast. I didn't like my partner when we worked in group activities because he always got the answer right away so I didn't feel like trying to solve the problem. Doing the math project was fun but that's because I prefer anything other than quizzes and tests. I am sure I learned quite a bit in your class but math is still a difficult subject for me.

Reflection:
I hope to implement interesting activities in my math classroom so that it is not just pencil and paper. Also, caring for students in every aspect is one of my main goals. I will make myself available and approachable for extra help after school.
I am afraid that I may not be aware of speaking too fast or too soft in class. I hope to walk around the classroom so that I'm not always in the front talking. In addition, I would like to make different types of assessment in math such as a math project. Another thing that I'm worried about is how to pair up students, those with similar or differing levels of math together, and how to carry out group work.

No comments:

Post a Comment